T-Fal ActiFry

This machine not only makes excellent guilt-free fries, but it lets you cook everything from stir-fries to risotto on autopilot. Too bad it's so expensive.

Originally introduced in Europe and just now making its way Stateside, the Actifry's biggest claim to fame is that it can make 2 pounds of crisp French fries with just a tablespoon of oil. But after putting this countertop appliance through its paces, I discovered that it can do a whole lot more – which is a good thing, considering that it costs around $300.

The ActiFry is fun and super-easy to use: There's an on-off button, and another button with a countdown timer. Just put the food in the pan (it holds about 2 pounds), drizzle it with oil, close the lid and press start. A paddle slowly stirs the food as hot air cooks it. I found fries and other foods to be cooked uniformly, thanks to the constant movement. Sure enough, the fries I made turned out crisp and delicious, and I didn't miss the extra oil one bit. I also made a stir-fry, which took longer to cook than if I'd done it on the stove, but was more convenient because I could let the machine do the stirring as I prepped the food and made the rest of my meal. When I saw the slow stirring motion, I knew the ActiFry would be ideal for making labor-intensive risotto, and I was right. While I still had to be nearby to keep adding the stock, and it took just as long as on the stove, making risotto in the ActiFry was far easier than doing it on the stove, and it turned out just as good (See the recipe for making risotto in the ActiFry).

The ActiFry isn't perfect, however. Customers have complained about shoddy constructions and materials, and while I didn't have any problems during testing, I did feel like some of the pieces were flimsy and could break easily. The countdown timer would also be more convenient if it actually turned the machine off. And being able to adjust the temperature would make it far more versatile. It's also a pretty bulky gadget to have on your countertop. But I think the main detraction is the price. At around $300 at the time of this review, this is a pretty expensive gadget just to make French fries, albeit delicious ones. But if you've got the money – and the counter space – to buy an ActiFry, I'm guessing you'll come up with plenty of excuses to use it.